Anyone that knows me knows that I’m a thinker. I have been guilty of overthinking the simplest of situations and so, true to nature, I’ve been thinking about how my life has changed since September 16. Here’s my list of the five ways Mommydom has changed me, in no particular order.
1. I’m a backseat rider. As long as I can remember I’ve always fought for the passenger seat. I thought the backseat was for lil kids and even when I was a kid I thought I was too big for the backseat. But when we took Temmy home from the hospital, I couldn’t imagine leaving her in the backseat all by herself, so I rode with her. And I’ve been riding with her ever since (when I’m not driving). So somebody tell Uncle Steve he doesn’t have to fight with me anymore to ride shotgun. I’ll happily buckle up next to Temmy in the back.
2. My phone’s primary purpose is to keep track of pees, poops, sleeps, and feedings. My unlimited everything is really going to waste these days. I resigned ALL of my WordFeud games when Temmy was born and the ppl who invited me to play again usually havta wait an average of 48 hours for me to play. The Queen of Text now takes hours to respond. Phone calls? Yeah, I didn’t like talking on the phone when I wasn’t tryna juggle baby, milk and poopy diapers all at once. I definitely don’t use my phone to make phone calls now. So if I’m not pressing a picture of a bra, bottle, poop, diaper, or sleeping baby, chances are I have no idea where my phone is.
3. I’m no longer Ms. Picture Queen. To everyone that said I stayed in front of a camera, guess what? I found the cure…a baby. Who would’ve thought that they’d see the day where I’d stop taking pictures of myself. Probably not my family and friends. But the day has come. If you go thru my phone, 99.9% of the pictures are of Temmy. And if you do find one of me, Temmy’s in it.
4. I have no personalized ringtones. Once upon a time, I had a different ringtone for everyone in my phone. I could tell you who was calling, texting, Facebooking, etc because of the song that was playing. I didn’t even need to look at my phone but just in case I forgot how to read, everybody had their own caller ID pic. That time is but a distant memory now. Awhile ago, my phone bricked itself and I had to get it replaced. I never bothered to customize it because it stays on silent all the time. Why? See #2 above.
5. I speak baby. Seriously. There was a time when I couldn’t say anything other than “Hiiiiiiiii *insert baby’s name here*”. I absolutely sucked at talking to babies. Now I hold 8-hour long convos with Temmy and can’t seem to hold a full conversation with an adult without talking to Temmy at some point. And if she’s not around, then she’s brought up at some point. SMH
Yes, Mommydom changes….